Tuesday, June 23, 2009

First round action from Wimbledon

Even without Nadal, I'm really enjoying the matches at Wimbledon. I was happy to see Fabrice Santoro win, his opening round match, especially since this might be his last year on tour. Santoro is probably my favorite player to watch. His shot placement is sublime. He'll be missed for sure when he does retire.

The Andy Murray vs Robert Kendrick match turned out to be very exciting. Kendrick put up a great fight to get to the fourth set, his serve was really good and he had some unbelievable diving volleys that flustered Murray but he didn't get many looks at Murray's serve and despite playing great tennis Murray was way too strong for him.

I was surprised to see how tough Andy Murray's draw is. He's got Gulbis, in the second round and then a potential match-up with Dent and Wawrinka in the third and fourth rounds. I'm guessing Murray, will make it through but don't be surprised if he's pushed to four or five sets in a few of these matches.

Now on to Roger. Well, I know he likes to wear a special outfit at Wimbledon, but could this one possibly be any more over the top? It reminds me of a wrestlers gimmick and I think Roger has taken this way too far. It was bad enough when he came out with the blazer in 2006, since then he's added pants, a vest, and a hand bag and a leisure suit jacket to his image. I hope he doesn't come out next year with a crown and scepter.XP Now I'm not trying to make fun of him but it's hard not to when you see him come out with the leisure suit. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

At least his game is on. Roger, always brings his best game to Wimbledon and he completely dominated his first and second round opponents. The chance of him winning a sixth Wimbledon is very high. We'll see what happens but I strongly feel that Roger will break Sampras's record next week.

No comments: