Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Davydenko and Murray out of the French, Gonzalez and Soderling into the semis

I didn't expect to be saying this but I'm now convinced that Robin Soderling has a legitimate chance of winning the French Open. He completely over-powered Davydenko, during their semi-final meeting, in a similar way to Gonzalez dominating Murray in the other semi today. Assuming he's, able to get over the Gonzo hurdle I think Soderling should at least be in the finals. Federer, had a narrow win over Haas on Monday but I don't think that will stop him from reaching the finals. Of the remaining players Fed still has the best chance but if Soderling plays against Federer like he played against Nadal, he will give Federer all he can handle. Even though their head-to-head suggests otherwise (Federer has beaten Soderling all 9 of the times they played.) Federer's has another advantage as well, he's 38-1 against the other five players still left in the draw. The more I think about it, the more I like Fed's chance of winning his first French Open title.

My new prediction is for Roger Federer to win the French Open over Robin Soderling, in four sets.

No comments: