Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wrist surgery could bring an early end to the season for Del Potro

I have some bad news, regarding Del Potro's recent wrist injury. It turns out that it's more serious than was initially thought and it's going to require surgery, which will put him out for at least 4 months. Needless to say this will be detrimental to his ranking, I don't even want to think how far he's going to fall, at least out of the top 20.

On a positive note, he is still young and will probably have some great days ahead of him, but this wrist injury is quite serious. I know that Andre Agassi and Venus Williams, both had wrist operations, and were able to make a full recoveries. I would assume the results will be similar for Del Potro but it's going to take some time to get through the rehabilitation and then getting back to practice and fitness training. I expect this will take him until the end of the year to recover from.

He's definitely got a long path in front of him and I'm sure it won't be an easy one. I wish him the absolute best, for his journey ahead.

No comments: