Friday, February 5, 2010

Do you watch doubles?

What's your preference when it comes to tennis? Do you like singles or doubles? Mens or womens? Boys or girls? Wheelchair or mixed wheelchair?

I've always had a strong preference for mens singles. I think the quality is the best in the ATP single game and it's not very often that I'll tune in to watch a WTA or doubles match. I know I'm probably missing out on some great tennis by not watching more from the other divisions but there's just no way I'd give up watching a Federer vs Cilic semi for a Klijsters vs Henin final.

However, even with my preference being towards singles, I've recently started exploring the doubles field a bit more. Earlier today I saw the Rajeev Ram/Eric Butorac vs Bopanna/Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi and wow, was it awesome. I know this might sound kind of silly but I didn't know the doubles players, could play this well, or that watching doubles could be this entertaining. Bopanna & Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi, played a tremendous match to beat Ram and Butorac in straights. There were great shots coming from every direction, one point was particularly memorable. It had Bopanna and Aisam, at net trying their best to put the ball away but Ram and Butorac were retrieving everything, the commentator said it resembled a ping pong point and I agree with him, it was quite good.

After seeing this match, I think I'd like to give doubles a second chance. This match sparked my curiosity and now I'd like to watch some matches with the Bryans or Nestor/Zimonjic, the top two teams in the ATP doubles. Maybe I'll even start blogging a bit about doubles.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you guys, what kind of tennis do you like to watch? Who are your favorite players and why do you like them?

No comments: