Monday, October 5, 2009

Del Potro upset in the first round at Tokyo

Hey guys.:) Sorry to have missed a few days with my blog, I've been playing a lot of tennis recently and I haven't quite had the time to post on here.

I saw the match between Del Potro and Edouard Roger-Vasselin at the Tokyo Open and I was really surprised that Del Potro lost the match in straights. I actually thought Del Potro, played decently for most of the match, he just had a couple of games where he had too many unforced errors and his opponent was able to get the winners when he needed them. Edouard Roger Vasselin, did a great job on saving the break points that Del Potro, had against him, especially since his game didn't seem to match up that well against Del Potro's. He's a good player but he doesn't have an overwhelming serve and he tends to favor spin more than flat hitting. He's also a more defensive type of player than Del Potro. In the very first game of the match, Del potro absolutely served Vasselin, right off the court. Initially I didn't think that he stood a chance but Vasselin proved me, the crowd, and possibly even himself wrong when he managed to get two important breaks to over-come the #5 player in the world, in straight sets.

If Vasselin, continues to play like this then he'll have a good chance of making a decent run in the Tokyo Open. Regardless, of how far he makes it, I'm sure he's thrilled to be into the next round and have a victory over one of the best players in the world.

No comments: