Monday, May 18, 2009

Federer snaps losing streak against Nadal and ends his title drought

It doesn't seem possible for Nadal to lose a match in straight sets on clay but that didn't discourage Roger Federer, who beat his greatest rival in two sets 6-4, 6-4 at the Madrid finals. I'm glad that I was able to see this match, although I was disappointed that Nadal seemed to be tired and didn't have the energy he needed to win. On the other hand Roger looked great, his backhand was consistent enough that it didn't hinder him and his forehand had finally become his weapon again. Most importantly Federer, switched up his tactics when he was playing Nadal and brought back his aggressive game and even served and volleyed on some points. He didn't get into defensive rallies with Nadal and kept down his number of unforced errors.

Now, you may remember that I gave my early predictions for the French Open a few weeks ago. Has it changed, because of this victory? Not really. I still think Nadal is going to win the French, in his typical dominating fashion. I don't expect him to lose more than two sets this time. Nadal is undefeated at the French Open (28-0) and I doubt that will change this year. However, if I am wrong and Nadal is upset, then it will be either Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer, who beats him. No one else is up for that task.

The most important thing that I saw from this match is that Roger still has the belief in himself.
If he can still play like this he will be a threat to Nadal and any other player, tired or not. This match proves that Roger's recent decline has been mostly because of his mental lapses. If his focus and belief stays with his game. Then I could easily see another epic showdown between Federer and Nadal at Wimbledon this year.:)

No comments: